Friday, February 18, 2011

Chipotle Veggie-Bean Taco's

Chipotle Veggie and Bean Tacos
-modified from a recipe in the Vive le Vegan! cookbook



So, after the advice of my doctor we have started eating less meat and more veggies. I kid you not I would eat meat three meals a day. Bacon or Sausage for Breakfast, meat sandwhiches for lunch and dinner was usually roast chicken, beef or pork. Seriously! EVERY day! Now, this is not unusual for most Americans but even the bible says "Everything in it's Season". Pretty sure it's not hunting season at every meal.

Gradually we have made the transition. I cook only two meals a week with meat products. TWO. And we have our usual family dinner at my in-laws. So three meals per week with meat. That's it. I asked my husband today how he's liking it. He says it's ok. Not bad. And there have definately been some less than awesome meals involved. (I apparently can NOT make lentil soup.) But there have been ones that even my kids will beg for. This is one of those.

You will need:

1 28oz can diced tomatoes, drained (if you want a smokier flavor use the roasted tomatoes)
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed*
1/2 teas salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp chipotle peppers very, very, very finely chopped or just the "sauce" from the can*.
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 to 2/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard or mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup green bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup celery, diced
1 cup cooked beans (I use black or kidney)
1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 teas honey or agave nectar

corn or flour tortillas
favorite taco toppings (Mine are red lettuce, tomatoes and avacado"

Press the drained tomatoes to remove as much excess liquid as possible. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, chipotles and all the dried herbs and spices. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes, then add the green pepper and celery. Stir and cook for another 3 minuts. Add in the remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.

Heat up your tortilla's how you like them, and enjoy with your favorite taco toppings.

* I no longer mince garlic for any recipe I make. I use my garlic press. It is awesome. I think I use it at least four or five times a week. I also buy my garlic peeled either from Costco or from Trader Joes. Yes, I use a ton of garlic. :)
*(I freeze the leftover chipotles from the can and when I need it take it out of the freezer and cut it while frozen. No thawing needed and you get just the small amount you need for recipes)
* You can make this less spicy by omiting the chipotles or turn it up a notch by upping it to 1 Tbsp. I like it spicy, my kids... eh, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...