Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Trader Joes Tuesday- Chicken, quinoa and black beans!

This week I picked up some Organic Red Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa for those of you who were wondering just HOW do you say that word), Organic Sweet Yellow Corn, Kidney Beans, and some onions from TJ's. (Ok, so my husband grabbed them before he left for the day but you get the picture.)


On hand I had the  black beans, crushed garlic, sea salt, cumin, black pepper, chicken, chicken broth and canola oil. I wish I had some cilantro but you know, it tasted pretty darn yummy without it.

In my rice cooker I made up a batch of the red quinoa. For this recipe I used 3/4 cup quinoa and 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth. I also put in the cumin and salt and pepper. Although this could be added at any step.


While that was going I chopped and browned the onions and garlic. I also cubed the chicken.



Don't forget to drain and RINSE your beans. You want to do this because it actually cuts down on how... well musical you will be later in the evening. :)



Remove the onions from your pan and add the chicken and cook until done. About 5 minutes or so. Add the beans and the corn and cook until they are warm. Mix the corn/bean/chicken in with the quinoa. I just added it all to the rice cookers pot so I didn't have to dirty yet another dish.

Plate it up!




And that my friends is another yummy, delicious, and best of all healthy and hearty gluten and dairy free dinner using mostly Trader Joe ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. My husband loves beans! I think he would really like this one! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...